Dr Kiusiang Tay-Teo
Deloitte Access Economics
Request for Tender
Project completion year
The Shed Online is a public health initiative developed by beyondblue with the Australian Men’s Shed Association (AMSA) and funded by the Movember Foundation. The program was launched in November 2010.
The Shed Online is an online community where men can socialise, learn and share skills. The site recreates the atmosphere of a ‘physical’ men’s shed – a safe and supportive space where men can feel confident to discuss and exchange information.
The primary target group for the program is men aged 55 and over. A secondary focus is men from non-metropolitan areas.
The Shed Online has the following objectives; it aims to promote men’s mental and physical health through:
- creating a social and interactive online community that strengthens wellbeing
- providing access to information about health and the health system
- increasing awareness of depression and anxiety
- decrease levels of stigma of depression and anxiety
- encouraging men to seek help.
The purpose of the evaluation is to:
- examine The Shed Online user experience
- assess the performance of The Shed Online against its stated objectives
- highlight areas where The Shed Online can improve its performance to better meet its objectives
- seek recommendations as to how to retain Shed Online members and increase the number of members, visitors and interactions.
An evaluation was undertaken to determine the extent to which the project objectives have been met. See the reports below.