Beyond Blue is proud to partner with AFL Victoria in 2018 to start conversations, reduce stigma and increase support-seeking for anxiety, depression and suicide prevention within the football community. Last year AFL Victoria consulted with their clubs and identified that mental health was one of the leading priorities for both players and supporters to take action on. In partnership with Beyond Blue, AFL Victoria is working towards educating the football community on mental health and wellbeing.
To kick off this partnership Beyond Blue is proud to support the first AFL Victoria Beyond Blue Round with Victorian clubs over the weekend of the 12-13 May 2018. Read more about the round here.
Talking about mental health is the game changer
Having a conversation about mental health, with our peers and within our clubs, will help reduce the stigma associated with anxiety, depression and suicide. To help make mental health part of everyday conversations, we are encouraging all club players to wear blue medical tape/strapping tape around their right wrists during their AFL Victoria Beyond Blue Round games in May 2018. You can organise blue medical tape/strapping tape through your league's official supplier. Wearing blue tape is a symbolic action, telling everyone that speaking up and seeking support is OK. If we can talk about our physical injuries then we should be able to talk about mental health conditions without being discriminated or stigmatised.
Ways your club can get involved:
- Register your club for the AFL Victoria Beyond Blue Round.
- Have players wear blue tape around their right wrist during your AFL Victoria Beyond Blue Round game. Take a photo on the day and post it on social media using the hashtag #beyondblueround2018.
- Organise a group of your players and supporters to attend the big AFL Beyond Blue Cup between the Hawks and Swans at the MCG on Friday 11 May, with a special 2-for-1 ticket bundle offer of only $25 for two GA tickets, with all proceeds going to Beyond Blue. This exclusive offer is available until Wednesday 9 May via PHONE ONLY by contacting Molly Rojas, Beyond Blue Fundraising Co-ordinator, on 03 9818 9234.
- Plan a fundraising event at your club. Register your event by clicking here and our fantastic Fundraising team will help you make your event a huge success.
- Order your own Beyond Blue blue Football Socks for your club to wear during the AFL Victoria Beyond Blue Round. Socks are $10 each and all money goes to Beyond Blue. To place your order please email email@example.com
- Share Beyond Blue's messaging through your club networks. Be sure to tag @beyondblue on Facebook and Twitter and @beyondblueofficial on Instagram.
- Organise a Beyond Blue Speaker to come talk at your club. You can visit www.beyondblue.org.au/speakers to find out more.
- Order Beyond Blue information resources to have available for everyone. Visit www.beyondblue.org.au/resources to download or order them.
Register your Beyond Blue Round today by filling out the form below!
Note: Please note that only Victorian football teams are eligible to participate in the AFL Victoria beyondblue Round 2018.