After the success of last year Beyond Blue is proud to support the AFL Victoria Beyond Blue Round over the weekend of the 11-12 May 2019.
In 2017, AFL Victoria consulted with their clubs and identified that mental health was one of the leading priorities for both players and supporters. In partnership with Beyond Blue, AFL Victoria is working towards educating the football community on mental health and wellbeing and the support available.
Talking about mental health is the game changer
Having a conversation about mental health, with our peers and within our clubs, will help reduce the stigma associated with anxiety, depression and suicide. To help make mental health part of everyday conversations, we are encouraging all club players to wear a special blue Beyond Blue strapping tape around their right wrists during their AFL Victoria Beyond Blue Round game this season. All clubs that register to support Beyond Blue as part of the round will receive a roll of the Beyond Blue tape.
Wearing blue tape is a symbolic action, telling everyone that speaking up and seeking support is OK. If we can talk about our physical injuries then we should be able to talk about mental health conditions without being discriminated against or stigmatised.
How to get your club involved
- Register your club below to support the 2019 AFL Victoria Beyond Blue Round.
- Organise a fundraising and awareness raising event within your club.
- Have players wear the Beyond Blue tape around their right wrist during your AFL Victoria Beyond Blue Round game.
How your club can support Beyond Blue:
- By registering, we are asking clubs to pledge to raise over $100 for Beyond Blue throughout the season and run an activity within your football community to help start a conversation about mental health.
- All clubs that register will automatically have a fundraising page set up for them to start their fundraising through their football community networks.
- Fundraising activities could include organising a club luncheon or dinner, run a BBQ or bake day, donate your ground and/or carpark entry fees for the day, or conduct a raffle and auction.
- To help start your event, all clubs that register before Thursday 25 April will receive a free Beyond Blue Supporter Pack, containing your Beyond Blue Tape, along with giveaways and information resources.
- The first 100 clubs to register will receive two general admission tickets to the AFL Beyond Blue Cup between Hawthorn and West Coast on Saturday 29 June.
- Clubs will also go into the draw to win some amazing prizes, including
- Four Medallion Club Tickets to Marvel Stadium including a $200 Food and Beverage voucher.
- 40 x general admission tickets to attend the AFL Beyond Blue Cup between the Hawthorn and West Coast at the MCG on Saturday 29 June and form the Guard of Honour on ground as the Hawks run out through the banner.
- 2019 signed Hawthorn FC guernsey
- Share Beyond Blue's messaging through your club networks. Be sure to tag @beyondblue on Facebook and Twitter and @beyondblueofficial on Instagram.
- Take photos on the day of how your club is supporting Beyond Blue and post it on social media using the hashtag #BeyondBlueRound2019
- Organise a Free Beyond Blue Speaker to come talk at your club. Visit www.beyondblue.org.au/speakers to find out more.
- Order Free Beyond Blue information resources to have available around your club. Visit www.beyondblue.org.au/resources to download or order.
Fill in the form below to register your club today!
Note: Please note that only Victorian football teams are eligible to participate in the AFL Victoria Beyond Blue Round 2019.