Campaign Supporter Page
Supporting small business owners
Let’s talk about mental health like we talk about business.
In a business setting, conversations around mental health can be difficult. We are repurposing business jargon to speak about mental health in a language small business advisers understand.
Beyond Blue has created a guide ‘Supporting small business owners to improve their mental health and wellbeing at work’. The purpose of this guide is to enable work contacts, family and friends to start the conversation with small business owners that they notice are experiencing poor mental health.
- 31% of small business owners reported high levels of psychological distress
- Sole traders experienced a significantly higher level of psychological distress (36%) compared to micro (23%) and other small businesses (25%).
After extensive consultation with the small business industry, it was found that business advisers, friends and family were often in a position to recognise stressors of running a small business. These support networks can play a supportive role to small businesses around mental health, without being trained as a counsellor or clinician.
The guide is available to download on the Heads Up website at bb.org.au/SupportingSmallBusiness.
Why small business advisers and families?
- They often see first-hand the stressors that small businesses are faced with.
- There are immediate actions they can take to support someone they are concerned about.
- There are many ways that they can play a supportive role to small business, around mental health, without being trained as a counsellor or clinician.
- There are helpful resources they can provide to small business owners.
How you can promote support for small business owners
Using our suggested post and assets below, you're welcome to put together a social media post or a newsletter story linking through to bb.org.au/SupportingSmallBusiness . We also encourage you to share any of the posts via our official social media accounts.
Download images for your website and social media channels:
Suggested Social Media posts
Using our suggested post and assets below, you're welcome to put together a social media post linking through to bb.org.au/SupportingSmallBusiness.
- Talking about mental health can be tough. Learn how to touch base with small business owners you know with Beyond Blue’s support guide.
- It’s sometimes hard to find the right words, but we believe there’s a ROI for every hard conversation. See how you can touch base with small business owners you know with Beyond Blue’s support guide.
Our Heads up webcast, Small business mental health - the role of work contacts, friends and family (YouTube), discusses how you can support small business owners’ mental health and wellbeing and identifies helpful resources for you to reference.
Read and share
Our Heads up infographic, Mental health of business owners (PDF), which illustrates the work-related stressors small business owners face daily, as highlighted in the University of Melbourne's Analysis of Household, Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia Survey (2015).