The highest risk period to die by suicide is in the first three months after an attempt, and in particular the first day, week and month after discharge from care.
The Way Back Support Service (The Way Back) is an innovative suicide prevention service developed to support people for up to three months following a suicide attempt or experienced a suicidal crisis, which is when they are most at risk of dying by suicide.
The Way Back provides an essential service during this critical time delivering person-centred, non-clinical care and practical support after a suicide attempt.
Support Coordinators link people into existing health, clinical and community-based services, ensuring people are safe and accessing the community-based support available.
The Way Back South East Melbourne (Casey) Undertaking
Beyond Blue, in partnership with South Eastern Melbourne PHN and Neami National, are currently implementing The Way Back in the South East Melbourne region.
A unique and exciting opportunity exists for a blueVoices member to join the Project Governance Group, providing advice and direction on the project based on your experience.
Project Governance Group role and function
Overseeing the effective delivery of The Way Back in Casey, the overall role of the Project Governance Group is to:
- Discuss key issues and make recommendations addressing barriers and challenges of The Way Back;
- Put in place and regularly review risk management and quality policies;
- Encourage and facilitate information sharing between stakeholders relating to delivery of the service; and
- Monitor performance and outcomes.
It is anticipated that the group will meet monthly for the first six months and then move to quarterly meetings.
The meetings will be chaired by Neami National and attended by Beyond Blue, South Eastern Melbourne PHN and Monash Health.
blueVoices role within the group
The blueVoices representative holds a unique position, providing insight and knowledge based on personal experience of mental health services following a suicide attempt.
You will be reimbursed for your time attending meetings by Neami National and supported in your role by Beyond Blue staff.
The selected blueVoices member will be required to:
- Participate alongside other group members in the function and decision making of the group
- Attend meetings located in Casey (it is anticipated for the first 6 months the group will meet monthly then move to quarterly meetings)
- Be part of the group for at least 12 months
- Act with confidentiality and integrity in the role
Applications to join The Way Back Support Service Governance Group for South East Melbourne (Casey) are now closed.
If you'd like more information on this project please contact the blueVoices team.