I've now removed all alcohol from my fridge, to reduce that temptation to enjoy a 'relaxing' drink during these challenging times.
I can think of many good reasons not to drink alcohol over the coming weeks. Here are a few:
- I need to maintain very close awareness of my personal hygiene
- We're in a rapidly evolving situation, and I process new information much better with no alcohol in my system
- I owe it to my family and friends to bring the best version of myself to every interaction now. We need each other.
- Some strangers I interact with are going to be stressed, scared, confused or angry. I can much better navigate potentially difficult interactions when I am completely sober.
- I want to follow directions from authority figures promptly and accurately. For my own health and wellbeing, but also for the good of the whole community.
- Without alcohol, I'll be more aware of any changes in my own symptoms and health. I would hate to put myself in a situation where, for example, I was uncertain whether my headache was hangover or viral.
For similar reasons, I'm limiting my caffeine intake. It makes me a little more tense and reactive than usual, and that's not wanted right now.
With wise choices, I know I can make the best of each situation. My sleep hygiene is the next thing on the list...