Online forums

Before you can post or reply in these forums, please complete your profile

Complete your profile

Before you can post or reply in these forums, please join our online community.

Forum membership is open to anyone residing in Australia.

Join the online community Community rules Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Forums / Treatments, health professionals and therapies / Problems with getting a mental health diagnosis (long)

Topic: Problems with getting a mental health diagnosis (long)

3 posts, 0 answered
  1. Lurkette
    Lurkette avatar
    3 posts
    27 September 2018

    I'm a migrant, so I don't know how mental health stuff works here in Australia.

    My ex partner was very abusive. I migrated to Australia to be with him. After a few years, I finally left him. I'm in a safe place now and I don't have contact with him outside of a few lingering legal issues. After being in the relationship with him, I'm very anxious, afraid to leave my new safe home, and I have a low mood/little energy. I'm also dealing with flashbacks involving old acts of abuse. So I probably have some mix of PTSD, depression, and anxiety. Maybe other stuff too.

    After being in this relationship I need a formal medical diagnosis to bring to court to show what effect the abuse had on me. I need it to document how disabled I am. I need a diagnosis to show every agency I'm dealing with to make sure I get access to the right treatment and services.

    I've been through 4 different programs, including asking to be voluntarily committed into the psychiatric ward of the local public hospital. I keep assigned to under-qualified people who aren't allowed to give a psychiatric diagnosis. They're happy to talk to me in sessions, but this apparently isn't a real medical record of having mental health problems. In the meantime, I can't apply for a disability pension because I don't have a diagnosis.

    Is this ... normal for Australia? Is it normal to refuse to diagnose people with mental health problems? Or to make it this difficult to get a diagnosis they can hand over to other people to get access to the services they need or to document the results of abuse they've suffered?

  2. blondguy
    Life Member
    • Life membership is awarded by beyondblue for providing outstanding peer support to the online community over a period of 3+ years.
    • A member of beyondblue's blueVoices community
    blondguy avatar
    10720 posts
    27 September 2018 in reply to Lurkette

    Hello Lurkette

    Welcome to the forums and for having the courage to post too!

    Im sorry to see that you have been a victim of domestic abuse. I was also in the same situation in the 1990's and yes I did require a diagnosis of my anxiety/depression to prove my case in the family court.

    The court will ask for a specialists diagnosis only to support what you have been going its only for your benefit.

    May I ask if you visited a health professional (psychiatrist/GP/psychologist) about the mental anguish/pain you have been going through? I understand your issue as even with a diagnosis it can difficult to obtain the disability pension

    You will be able to obtain a diagnosis starting with your GP and any health professionals that you are referred to

    It is a relief that you are in a safe place now after what you have gone through. You are proactive with your health Lurkette and thats a huge bonus....yet a diagnosis to confirm any mental illness/disorder is required

    If you have any questions or comments it would be great if you could post back (when convenient for you) the forums are a safe and non judgemental place Lurkette

    my kind thoughts for you


  3. Beetle
    Beetle avatar
    236 posts
    27 September 2018 in reply to Lurkette

    Hey Luv

    am so sorry to hear you going through all this. I feel you. I had heaps of abuse in my life to.

    t sounds like you haven't met the right people yet. I guess you need a Psychiatrist to proper diagnose you. Psychologists etc cant do that. Often little hospitals don't have Psychiatrists. YOur best bet is to go to a private Psychiatrist and talk to them. That's the quickest way. It will be expensive but public ones are hard to get into ( well I am up in the north, its a nightmare up here)

    This is just my guess what might have happen? Where do you live?

    Big hug. YOu will get there xx

Stay in touch with us

Sign up below for regular emails filled with information, advice and support for you or your loved ones.

Sign me up