Managing stress for small business owners and sole traders
As a small business owner or sole trader, it's important to take time to manage stress and promote wellbeing.
Look after your mental health and wellbeing
There are many things you can do to look after your mental health and wellbeing. Some are simple, others more challenging. Being aware of them and making a plan is a great place to start.
Learn ways to look after your mental health and wellbeing
Develop a personal wellbeing plan
Ahead for Business have developed a wellbeing plan template designed for small business owners. This online tool can help you address the challenges unique to your situation. It allows you to:
- list challenges at work and strategies to overcome them
- identify actions to improve your personal wellbeing at work
- develop plans for your business if you need to take time off work
- identify professional and personal supports for challenging times
Visit Ahead for Business to register and create your own personal wellbeing plan
Free and confidential mental health support for small business owners and sole traders
NewAccess for Small Business Owners is a free and confidential mental health coaching program. It was developed by Beyond Blue to support small business owners and sole traders.
Our mental health coaches all have a small business background. They'll work with you to overcome difficult issues. They’ll provide you with practical skills to manage stress. They’ll help you get back to feeling like yourself.
The service is available nationally by phone or video call and no GP referral is required.
Learn more about mental health coaching through NewAccess for Small Business Owners
Money stress and small business
Money is a big source of stress for many small businesses, from daily cashflow to navigating debt.
People with money stress are more than twice as likely to experience poor mental health (and vice versa). Small business owners and sole traders have more money stress, which impacts their mental health.
Actions for money stress
- Acknowledge the link between money stress and mental health.
- Address the financial stress (it's common to try and ignore it, or not know where to start).
- Seek mental health support to help with the stress that financial challenges cause.
- Don’t delay – the earlier you seek support for both money stress and mental health, the better.
Find support for your financial wellbeing
- Small business debt helpline – get free, independent and confidential advice from small business financial counsellors.
- Moneysmart – providing free tools, tips and guidance to help you take care of your money.
- National Debt Helpline – find information and resources as well as free advice and support from qualified financial counsellors.
Beyond Blue’s work in financial wellbeing
Learn more about the link between money and mental health, and find Beyond Blue’s Services guide for financial and mental wellbeing.