How losing your job could affect you
Losing your job stirs up many different feelings.
It’s common to experience a range of emotional reactions to unexpected loss or changes in life.
You might feel angry, guilty, worthless, sad, powerless or helpless, or a sense of shock.
In addition to other feelings of stress, you might be feeling:
- anger, frustration, embarrassment or a sense of injustice
- doubt, confusion, or loss of direction
- numbness, disbelief or a feeling that it can’t be real
- grief over the loss of your job (and what comes with it – like activity, security and relationships)
- uncertainty and worry for the future
- worried about money.
You might also be wondering what you could have done differently to avoid this outcome.
For most people, these feelings and thoughts will get better with time and support. It's an important time to look after your mental health to help you navigate your next steps.