The National Workplace Program (NWP) is an awareness, early intervention and prevention program designed specifically for workplace settings. It aims to increase the knowledge and skills of staff and managers to address mental health conditions in the workplace.
The NWP utilises an evidence-based approach and focuses on:
- how to recognise when a work colleague may be experiencing depression or anxiety
- how to support someone to get help
- good management strategies such as return-to-work plans and making adjustments in the workplace.
The NWP is designed to meet the specific needs of organisations and has been extensively evaluated across a range of organisational settings throughout Australia.
1. Senior Executive Briefing: mental health in the workplace
This briefing is designed to highlight the importance of mental health in the workplace to senior executives. The presentation incorporates a business case for tackling the most common mental health problems in the workplace and leadership strategies to address mental health in the workplace.
- Recommended length: 30-60 minutes
- Maximum participant numbers: 15
- Audience: Executive and senior management
2. Organisational awareness: mental health in the workplace
This presentation is designed to increase awareness among staff members about depression and anxiety and their impact, and support for mental wellbeing.
- Recommended length: 60 minutes
- Maximum participant numbers: 100 people
- Audience: Staff at all levels within the workplace
3. Employee awareness to action: mental health in the workplace
This workshop is designed to increase awareness among general staff members about the most common mental health conditions in Australia and their impact on the workplace. Participants will also, through the use of DVD case studies and structured discussions, increase their confidence to approach a colleague they may be concerned about.
- Recommended length: 2 hours
- Maximum participant numbers: 25
- Audience: General staff groups excluding managers, supervisors and team leaders
4. Manager awareness, impact and action: mental health in the workplace
This workshop is designed to educate managers on the impact of common mental health conditions on individuals, the workplace environment and the organisation as a whole. Through the use of DVD case studies and structured discussions, participants will become more confident in the principles and planning required to approach an employee they may be concerned about. Participants will also spend time developing management strategies to address mental health within their organisation.
- Recommended length: 3 hours
- Maximum participant numbers: 25
- Audience: Managers, supervisors and team leaders
5. Strategies and solutions for HR professionals: mental health in the workplace
This workshop is designed specifically to enable HR professionals to promote mental health awareness and to meet the challenge of addressing depression, anxiety and related disorders in the workplace. Participants will be guided through the fundamentals of mental health problems in the workplace, including an examination of prevention strategies at an organisational level, how to develop appropriate policies and procedures, and how to advise managers on addressing mental health problems with their staff.
- Recommended length: 4 hours
- Maximum participant numbers: 20
- Audience: Managers and staff in HR, OH&S, return-to-work or injury management
Making an enquiry or booking
To make an enquiry or a booking for the National Workplace Program, please contact beyondblue's licensee, Davidson Trahaire Corpsych:
Phone: 1300 134 644
or visit: MentalWellbeing@Work™
Since 2004, the NWP has been:
- presented to more than 67,000 participants in more than 750 organisations across Australia.
- licensed in the UK through the Centre of Mental Health, following an independent evaluation by The University of Nottingham and a successful pilot.
- awarded the Australian Institute of Training and Development (AITD) Excellence in a Learning Resource award 2008.
- successfully adapted for targeted audiences including the construction, mining, legal, accounting sectors, rural settings, police and professional sports.
The NWP has been delivered to a wide cross-section of Australian workplaces, including Commonwealth, State, Territory and local governments; large corporate organisations; 'blue collar' industries (e.g. mining, construction, and transport); small and medium enterprises; not-for-profits; professional associations; professional sporting bodies and rural businesses.
The NWP is delivered under license nationally by Davidson Trahaire Corpsych.
An extensive evaluation of beyondblue's National Workplace Program has shown that implementation of beyondblue workshops results in the following outcomes for participants:
- increased awareness and understanding about the most common mental health problems in the workplace
- a greater understanding of the impact of these problems on the lives of people affected, including work performance
- improved attitudes and decreased stigma towards a colleague with depression or a related disorder
- increased willingness and confidence to assist and/or manage a person who may be experiencing depression or anxiety
- a greater understanding of managers' responsibilities to staff and the organisation as they relate to these issues.
Our workshops have been consistently rated highly by participants:
- 98 per cent of participants would recommend beyondblue workshops to others
- 95 per cent of participants rated the relevance of the content to their job as being good or excellent
- 96 per cent of participants rated the quality of the presenter as being good or excellent.