At any given time, one in five employees is likely to be experiencing a mental health condition, so it is important for workplaces to be well equipped to deal with these issues effectively.
Mental health conditions tend to affect people during their prime working years (16 to 64 years). In addition to the personal cost to the individual, untreated mental health conditions can have a direct impact on workplaces through absenteeism, presenteeism and increased costs.
A mentally healthy workplace promotes and protects employee mental health and can have a positive impact on productivity, performance, staff retention and morale, and being perceived as an employer of choice.
beyondblue has developed a range of resources to help businesses and individuals create mentally healthy workplaces. The Heads Up initiative was recently launched in partnership with the Mentally Healthy Workplace Alliance (MHWA) to encourage business leaders to take action on mental health in the workplace and give it the same priority as physical health and safety.
The Heads Up website is a comprehensive online resource dedicated to providing information about mental health and the workplace. The website offers simple tools, practical advice, information and resources to take action and covers all areas of workplace mental health, including:
- the benefits of creating a mentally healthy workplace
- the business case to support this and the return on investment to expect
- how to manage an employee experiencing a mental health condition
- how to reduce risks by changing workplace culture
- how to talk about a mental health condition at work
- how to support a colleague
- rights and responsibilities for employers and employees.
One of the key features of the website is a tailored action plan tool for organisations to identify specific ways they can make their workplace more mentally healthy.