The Beyond Blue Support Service connects people with trained counsellors who provide brief counselling, information and referrals for mental health conditions such as anxiety and depression.
The Support Service can be accessed via telephone, and via webchat and email using the Beyond Blue website.
The Support Service is provided by Remedy Healthcare, which is a subsidiary of Australian Unity Limited.
Remedy Healthcare and Beyond Blue are committed to ensuring that your personal information is protected in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and other applicable laws in relation to the handling of that information.
You can obtain the latest versions of our respective privacy policies, which contain more information about our privacy practices, by clicking the links below:
In this Privacy Collection Statement, references to Beyond Blue are references to Beyond Blue Limited ACN 093 865 840. References to Remedy Healthcare are references to Remedy Healthcare Group Pty Ltd ABN 57 132 864 316.
Why we collect personal information
Remedy Healthcare collects your personal information (including sensitive information such as health information) for the primary purpose of providing the Support Service.
What personal information we collect
Personal information collected may include information such as:
- your name
- your date of birth
- your contact details (including telephone number, address and/or email address)
- information about your health and medical history
- records of the Support Service’s interactions with you
- audio recordings of telephone conversations, and
- telecommunications data and information on website usage.
If you wish, you may use the Support Service anonymously or by using a pseudonym (that is, a fake name), or otherwise not provide personal information. However, that may limit the type or quality of the services that Remedy Healthcare can provide to you.
How we collect your personal information
In most cases, Remedy Healthcare collects personal information from you when you use the Support Service, use the Beyond Blue website, provide feedback or make a complaint.
Remedy Healthcare may also collect information about you from other sources, including personal information and telecommunications data, even if you don’t identify yourself.
How we use your personal information
For example, your personal information may be used to:
- identify you and determine the appropriate way for the Support Service to interact with you, and otherwise manage the relationship with you
- identify and provide counselling, information and referral services to you
- manage complaints and legal issues
- interact with regulators and governmental agencies
- meet our legal obligations, including to report risks of harm to you and other people, and
- develop and improve the Support Service generally.
How we use de-identified information
Your personal information may also be de-identified and aggregated by Remedy Healthcare and used by Remedy Healthcare and Beyond Blue for the purposes of analysing and developing the Support Service. De-identified information may also be used in academic articles, in presentations and shared with research partners.
De-identified feedback you provide to Remedy Healthcare may also be used for marketing purposes.
Who your personal information is disclosed to
Remedy Healthcare may need to disclose your personal information to other persons or organisations that can help you, such as healthcare providers or other referral parties. Remedy Healthcare will ask for your permission before sharing your personal information with those persons or organisations.
In addition, personal information may be disclosed to third parties that provide services relating to the purposes for which the information is collected or able to be used, or otherwise where you would reasonably expect disclosure to third parties.
For example, Remedy Healthcare may disclose your personal information to its:
- service providers and contractors, including service providers that host website servers, other IT service providers and analytical service providers, and
- professional advisers (such as accountants, auditors and lawyers).
Remedy Healthcare may also disclose your personal information:
- to Beyond Blue in order to manage the administration of the Support Service
- to Australian Unity Limited or any of its other subsidiaries in order to manage the administration of the Support Service or to meet Remedy Healthcare’s legal and contractual obligations
- if you have consented to the disclosure, or your consent can reasonably be inferred from the circumstances
- to relevant authorities where there is a child or young person at risk of harm (including physical harm, sexual, emotional or psychological abuse, or neglect)
- to relevant authorities where there is a serious risk of harm to you or another adult person or a serious threat to public health, welfare or safety, and
- if it is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court or tribunal order.
Sharing personal information about another person
If you want to share a story about another person and it involves their personal information (or if they will be reasonably identifiable from the information you want to share), please get their consent first and let them know about this Privacy Collection Statement and Remedy Healthcare’s and Beyond Blue’s respective privacy policies.
More information about our privacy practices
Remedy Healthcare’s and Beyond Blue’s respective privacy policies contain more information about our privacy practices, including:
- how you may access and correct the personal information held about you, and
- how to complain about a suspected breach of your privacy or about how your personal information has been handled.
You can obtain the latest versions of our respective privacy policies by visiting the websites below:
How to contact us
Remedy Healthcare Email: email@example.com
Beyond Blue Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Remedy Healthcare Post: Group Privacy Officer, Remedy Healthcare
GPO Box 2219
Melbourne VIC 3001
Beyond Blue Post: Attention: The Privacy Officer, Beyond Blue
Suite 501, 278 Flinders Lane
Melbourne VIC 3000
This Support Service Privacy Collection Statement was last updated in February 2022 and may change from time to time. Please consult this statement regularly for any changes.