Online forums

Before you can post or reply in these forums, please complete your profile

Complete your profile

Before you can post or reply in these forums, please join our online community.

Forum membership is open to anyone residing in Australia.

Join the online community Community rules Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Forums / Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition (carers) / Help getting Centrelink payment for my partner

Topic: Help getting Centrelink payment for my partner

4 posts, 0 answered
  1. abev
    abev avatar
    2 posts
    9 January 2018

    My boyfriend has struggled with mental health for his whole life but is not technically diagnosed as he has trouble even going to the GP. I would guess he has extreme anxiety, depression and OCD.

    He has been unemployed because of this for nearly 10 years. He has been on and off Centrelink as whenever they try to make him go to appointments or interviews he has panic attacks and loses his payments. When he was honest with them about his struggles, he went to a Centrelink counsellor who said he was well enoug for work.

    He cant leave the house on hs own and even finds it hard to talk to his parents and few friends due tohigh social anxiety.

    I struggle with depression and anxiety myself but have managed to find a good job. The pay is not enough however to support two people and we are really struggling

    I guess I'm asking for advice on how to deal with Centrelink. Is there any way he could get disability? As I said he even finds it very hard to go to the GP.

  2. Bethie
    blueVoices member
    • A member of beyondblue's blueVoices community
    Bethie avatar
    326 posts
    9 January 2018 in reply to abev


    Here is a link to a forum here that might help

    Centrelink disability can take a very very long time to get and from memory requires both reports from doctors and specialist. Then a job capacity assesment.

    Even though he does not want to he really does need to start seeing a GP.

    I know with my own anxiety and depression working full time is really hard so i only work part time. With having MH issues yourself do you think he might agree to seeing a GP to take some of the stress off you?

    Only other thing i can think of is if he gets a appoinment and assesed by mental health in your state.

    I know in Queensland it is possible to get help via 1300mentalhealth not sure about other states though sorry.

  3. abev
    abev avatar
    2 posts
    10 January 2018 in reply to Bethie

    Thank you very much for the information. I will see about asking him to reconsider the GP and go from there.

    Thanks again.

  4. xCrumpetx
    xCrumpetx avatar
    33 posts
    11 January 2018 in reply to abev
    If you like you can go with him to the doctors so he has some support :)
    1 person found this helpful

Stay in touch with us

Sign up below for regular emails filled with information, advice and support for you or your loved ones.

Sign me up