Online forums

Before you can post or reply in these forums, please complete your profile

Complete your profile

Before you can post or reply in these forums, please join our online community.

Forum membership is open to anyone residing in Australia.

Join the online community Community rules Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Topic: Psych or counsellor?

4 posts, 0 answered
  1. Yepitsme23
    Yepitsme23 avatar
    1 posts
    6 May 2020
    I’ve recently become aware that I have a problem lying about stupid little mundane things that really shouldn’t be an issue. I’m after suggestions on whether a psych or counsellor would be best? 
  2. Sleepy21
    Valued Contributor
    • A special award for members who go above and beyond to support others here on the forums
    Sleepy21 avatar
    3382 posts
    6 May 2020 in reply to Yepitsme23

    hi yep its me - welcome to the forum. would love to hear more but i'm feeling like i can't really answer on that alone.

    Psychologists, social workers and counsellors are all good for these things. Have you ever had any counselling before? Do you have a GP you can talk to about getting a referal? Would be happy to hear more about this issue you are struggling with.

    Welcome again.

  3. Nurse Jenn
    Health professional
    • Health professional
    Nurse Jenn avatar
    436 posts
    6 May 2020 in reply to Yepitsme23

    Hi yepitsme23,

    Welcome to the forum. It is good to see you reaching out for some support. Your question is a common one in determining which type of health professional you need. There is a page on the Beyond Blue website that outlines the difference between the difference professional groups.

    There are a few other variables to consider such as the availability of psychologists versus counsellors where you live. Another consideration is the level of treatment that you require. This would be best discussed with your GP as Sleepy has pointed out. Another option would be start with a program like Mindspot ( or NewAccess

    Both of these programs are free and provide treatment by counsellors and you don't require a GP. They complete an initial screening and may suggest to you that you need to see a psychologist based on the first visit or assessment. Both these programs focus on people who are experiencing worry, low mood or life pressures.

    NewAccess is only available in some parts of Australia so you would have to do a search to see if it is available in your location. Mindspot is done online with some telephone counselling.

    In any case, a conversation with your GP will likely help you determine what level of care that you need and want.

    For many people, it is how the practitioner makes you feel and the comfort you have with them. Sometimes this takes a few sessions to determine. It is possible that you might start sessions with a psychologist or a counsellor and it doesn't feel like a good match. If this happens, I encourage people to try someone new until they find the right fit.

    As Sleepy has mentioned, it can help to talk and if you feel comfortable, please post again. We are listening.

    Wishing you the best possible outcome,

    Nurse Jenn


  4. romantic_thi3f
    Community Champion
    • Outstanding members who have volunteered their time to support others here on the forums
    • Life membership is awarded by beyondblue for providing outstanding peer support to the online community over a period of 3+ years.
    • A member of beyondblue's blueVoices community
    romantic_thi3f avatar
    2951 posts
    11 May 2020 in reply to Yepitsme23

    Hi Yepitsme23,

    Welcome to the forums and thank you for reaching out. This is a great question and honestly it can be a little confusing! I'll try and break it down but please let me know if this doesn't make sense or you need more info on any profession -

    A psychologist -

    This is who people generally get referred to with the MHCP since then you can get a medicare rebate - which either makes your appointment a little bit cheaper or even free, depending on who you see. To be a psychologist you need to spend several years at university. You can find one here 

    A counsellor -

    Since counsellors don't work with Medicare this is usually out of pocket, but on the plus side they can be much more affordable. There isn't currently any law (yet) on who can call themselves a counsellor which can be a bit risky, so it's important to check that people are accredited and know their stuff. Here is a registered board (aka - makes them legit) where you can find a counsellor here

    I hope this helps


Stay in touch with us

Sign up below for regular emails filled with information, advice and support for you or your loved ones.

Sign me up