The Australian Government is beginning to roll-out a new national carer support services system through the Carer Gateway from July.
Carer Gateway is a new national service funded by the Australian Government. It includes a website and phone service to provide practical information and support.
If you help a family member or friend who has a disability, chronic illness, dementia, mental illness, an addiction or is frail aged, Carer Gateway could help you.
Carer Gateway provides a range of information to from practical advice and resources, to help finding support services including:
- information on the types of care and stages of caring
- advice on how to look after yourself while caring for someone
- managing day to day care
- legal and financial support considerations
- what to do in an emergency or crisis situation
- help on combining caring with work or study.
The website has specific information for carers including young carers, older carers, working carers, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander carers and culturally and linguistically diverse carers.