Personal stories


She pleaded for me to let her in and in the end I did.

I decided I had enough of life in September 2015. I felt overwhelmed by despair and believed I was not wanted anywhere. This is probably a common feeling in many people who decide to end their lives. I had been taking antidepressants for about 4-5 years and finding some relief from depression but still had suicidal thoughts on occasions, probably as a way of coping with those times of additional stress.

At the beginning of 2015 I discovered I had breast cancer. I had surgery followed by radiation treatment and was then prescribed a medication. Unfortunately this medication interacted with the antidepressant in a dreadful way. Equally unfortunately, neither my doctor nor me knew this was the cause of the fairly dramatic change in mood and behaviour.

I rapidly became more and more depressed and unable to think or manage. I went to my GP who considered sending me to hospital but I did not want this so she reluctantly agreed. My GP got me to take various coping steps but none of it worked.

I went to church one Sunday and because of a stray comment which confirmed all my thoughts about myself, I decided I had enough of life. It was as simple as that. I became distressed during the service which was noticed by several people and they tried to comfort me.

As soon as the service was over I left, but not before the priest asked me to stay and talk. I said no, I was going home to die and left. I really did not expect anyone would do anything about me. So I went home and made my preparations and carried them out. I heard the doorbell ring and decided not to answer. The bell kept being rung and in the end I went to the door to tell the person to go away. It was a friend of mine from church. She had been asked by the priest to see if I was OK. At first all I wanted was for her to go away and let me die. She pleaded for me to let her in and in the end I did. It was easier that way. She made coffee and asked what I had done, so I told her. She called an ambulance.

I have no idea what happened after that until I woke up in a hospital bed. The doctors and nurses were not the comforting people I had experienced in other, ordinary hospital admissions and I felt they were angry with me and not interested in comfort. I was sent home in a taxi and left to manage as best I could. When I went to the breast specialist for my next check up I told my story. The doctor said it was a well known side effect, the medication from the oncologist and antidepressant reacting and causing a serotonin syndrome-like result. My GP was fantastic with her care for me afterwards and several friends also helped. I did not tell my family.

Stay in touch with us

Sign up below for regular emails filled with information, advice and support for you or your loved ones.

Sign me up