Sometimes people feel broken and very sad inside. When all the parts of a person are together they feel strong.
Strength and wellbeing can come from your family, friends and community.
If you feel broken or very sad, there are many types of support and healing available.
To feel strong again can take time, but small steps can lead to big changes. With the right help, most people can feel stronger inside.
How do you feel
- Don't enjoy things you used to?
- Feel like hurting yourself or think of dying?
- Spend lots of time on your own?
- Feel tired?
- Have trouble sleeping?
- Hard to think or concentrate?
If you feel some of these things for more than two weeks, you may have depression – but you don't have to feel this way.
There are many ways to find help and healing
What you can do
- Seek help to strengthen your spirit
- Keep in touch with people
- See a doctor, health worker or counsellor
- Talk kindly to yourself
- Talk to someone you know and trust
- Avoid using alcohol and drugs to feel better.
What family and friends can do
- Listen and provide support
- Keep the family spirit strong
- Help the person to find healing
- Spend time together
- Organise family activities.
What communities can do
- Traditional or spiritual healing
- Links and support with other families
- Community education and activities
- Cultural and traditional activities.