Personal stories


My mum refused to leave my side.

I stood in the pouring rain, on a cold night in July, debating whether or not to take my life. I was crying hysterically, because I knew that I couldn’t do this, but a part of me felt like I had no choice. But I’d decided: I was going to do this.

The past year and a half – from my mum being diagnosed with cancer, myself developing anxiety and depression, and dealing with the pressure of the HSC – had escalated to this point. Then I heard the sirens. At first I wondered whether the police cars in the distance were for me, but I reassured myself that they couldn’t be.

Nobody knew I was here. Still, I was scared, so I decided to retreat to my car. Then I saw the policemen running down the stairs in the distance, and I started to panic. I’d never spoken to police before, and I didn’t know what to say to make them understand. There were three of them, and they were relatively nice. They asked me questions, and I tried to answer as best I could. Eventually, I was given an ultimatum: they’d take me to the hospital, or they’d take me home. I chose the latter.  

I cannot imagine how my poor parents must have felt when they opened the front door, weary eyed nearing 1AM, to see their 17-year-old daughter accompanied by police. I remember my mum sighing as she said, “oh Sophie, I thought we were past this.” That really hurt me. I felt like my parents didn’t understand that I wasn’t trying to cause trouble. In fact, I was trying to elevate their worry of me. I was wrong, but it still hurt.  

My mum refused to leave my side. At the time I found this frustrating, because I felt incredibly uncomfortable around her. Whilst it wasn’t what I wanted, I understand that my mum just wanted to keep me safe, and ensure that I wouldn’t try to hurt myself. This was her way of caring.

I messaged my two closest friends and teachers, and explained what had happened. They expressed their concern for my wellbeing, but their thankfulness that the police had been called, and that I was now safe. Later that morning, my parents wanted to take me to ED. This was not welcomed news, so I negotiated with my parents. In four days I had a scheduled appointment with my psychologist. If I didn’t feel like I could keep myself safe until then, my parents could take me to the emergency department. It sounds trivial, but I had soccer training that afternoon, and all I wanted was to go and see my friends.  

My life was saved by a stranger monitoring a CCTV camera. Recovering from a suicide attempt is not an easy road, but without the love, kindness and support of my friends, teachers, psychologist and family, I wouldn’t be doing as well as I am. I’m so grateful that I’m still alive.

Stay in touch with us

Sign up below for regular emails filled with information, advice and support for you or your loved ones.

Sign me up